We can never be too security conscious when it comes to protecting our home and family. We have put together a list of security tips from your local locksmiths in Wolverhampton to deter burglars and give you peace of mind.
1. Make sure that the locks that you have fitted to your wooden doors conform to BS3621. For more information on why this is important please go to Latest News page & read the article published on 19/03/2014.
2. Make sure that the locks fitted to your UPVC / Composite doors do not protrude more than 3mm from the handle. For more information on why this is important please go to Latest News page & read the article published on 23/03/2014.
3. Ideally all your locks on UPVC / Composite doors should be swapped for ANT-Snap / Snap-Safe Euro Cylinders. Again for more information on why this is important please go to Latest News page & read the article published on 23/03/2014.
4. Fit an anti-lift device on sliding patio doors this will prevent burglars lifting the door out of the frame – More detail on this will be published in a later article.
5. Fit Sash Jammers on UPVC doors and windows these provide extra strength to you help prevent burglars gaining access, they will also act as a secondary security device if your door or window mechanism fail to lock. Again more detail on this will be published in a later article.
6. Fit extra locks on windows that are not needed for emergency egress, these will reduce the risk of burglars smashing small windows & gaining access (especially useful on single glazed windows).
7. Fit security chains & spy holes on your front door to help unwanted intruders forcing their way into your home.
8. Fit outside lights that have motion detectors, burglars don’t like to been seen so these act as an excellent deterrent and will also alert you and your neighbours of any intruders.
9. Fit an Alarm – Again this works as an excellent deterrent, burglars don’t like to draw attention to themselves, this should also help to reduce your insurance premiums. Make sure that you turn it on though, your insurance company may not pay out if its not turned on when you get burgled. Also make sure that any faults are repaired ASAP. Neighbours will ignore your alarm if its always going off.
10. Make sure that your car keys are not visible through windows or doors. Many homes are broken into these days just to steal an expensive car that’s sitting on the drive.
11. Never leave your car running whilst unattended, thieves target cars left running especially on frosty mornings when many motorists leave there car running to defrost the windscreen.
12. Change your locks immediately if your keys are lost or stolen to prevent burglars simply walking into your house.
13. Always change your locks as soon as you move into a new house, there may be a large number of previous occupants that still have a key, especially if the property has been rented out.
14. Never leave a spare key under a mat or flower pot, this is the first place a burglar will look. Instead leave a key with a relative or trusty neighbour.
15. Keep the garage and shed locked even if they don’t contain any valuables, burglars will use you tools to break into your house.
16. Don’t leave ladders lying around in the garden, this will give a burglar easy access to an upstairs window, especially on a hot summer evening.
17. Always cancel the milk & paper when going on holiday and ask one of the neighbours to make sure any post isn’t protruding from the letterbox.
18. If you have time, try and cut the grass before you go away, especially if your going away for a couple of week.
19 Install electric timers on lamps, these will give the impression that someone is home & moving around the house.
20. And finally make sure that you locks your windows or doors even if you are just nipping around a neighbours, burglars are opportunists and will be in and out of your home in minutes.
Secure Home Locksmiths carry out free security surveys so we are happy to come out to your home & give you a free no obligation quote.
Secure Home Locksmiths – Your local locksmiths<a href=“http://local24hourlocksmiths.co.uk/locksmiths-in-wolverhampton//”>Locksmiths in Wolverhampton</a> ,Bridgnorth, Birmingham, Oldbury, Halesowen, Stourbridge, Dudley, Tipton, Walsall, Sutton Coldfield areas.